My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Jesus-follower. Husband. Teacher. Avid reader, writer, and sports enthusiast.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Matthew 16--Bread

Matthew records several stories about bread in close proximety to each other. I don't think that's a coincidence. Matthew 14--Jesus feeds the 5,000. Matthew 15--Jesus feeds the 4,000. And then today's reading...

“The talmidim, when crossing to the other side of the lake, forgot to bring any bread” (Matt. 16:5, Jewish New Testament). Jesus has been pretty clear recently—he doesn’t need bread to feed people. Are all of these miracles really about bread? It seems to me that most everything Jesus does isn't just about the miracle, but it has a deeper, more profound meaning.

In Matthew 16, Jesus himself points out here when warning the disciples of the leaven of the Pharisees that bread refers to teaching.


The talmidim (disciples) forgetting to bring any bread symbolizes their lack of faith expressed by how worried they are that they forgot it. They had just watched Jesus feed masses of people with very little food, but they are quick to fret when they realize they didn’t bring any bread with them across the lake.

Is the lake significant? To the Israelite, the lake or sea represents Sheol. Were they going to the Decapolis? I'm not sure upon first reading, but either way, forgetting bread on their journey represents not taking Jesus’s own teaching to heart, since he is the Bread of Life.

God, help me to take your teachings to heart. Help me to trust in your care over me and to never worry because you are in control. Help me devote my life to your teachings. Nourish me through them. I want to devour your words, Father. Mold me through them. Shape me into the person you created me to be. I know it won’t be easy on me, but I know it will be worth it, not just for me, but also for your kingdom. Through the mighty name of Jesus, I pray, amen.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home