My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Jesus-follower. Husband. Teacher. Avid reader, writer, and sports enthusiast.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Divine Intervention--Matthew 2

Do you ever pray for divine intervention? I'm not talking about hardcore-miracle divine intervention. Almost on a daily basis, I find myself asking what God's will is for me in certain situations. While it's always good to seek God's guidance, sometimes I feel like I'm copping out, waiting for some sign-from-above that isn't going to come.

In Matthew 2, there are lots of signs-from-above. The Magi (or stargazers) get a clear sign that they are to follow in the form of a star. Then they received another clear sign in a dream that they were not to return to Herod. Then Joseph gets a clear sign in the form of a dream telling him to take his family to Egypt. After they've been in Egypt for a while, Joseph had another dream telling him that Herod was dead and to return to Israel. Before they get to Israel, Joseph is told in another dream to stop in Nazareth. Each one of these divine interventions seems to fulfill God's will, at least his prophecy.
I can't imagine how amazing it felt to be in Joseph's shoes when he was travelling. Can you imagine receiving direct word from God himself telling you exactly what he wanted you to do? What assurance he must have felt. What confidence. I'm guessing Joseph wasn't worried about much on their trip to Egypt. I'd say the robbers and the desert didn't seem like that big of a deal when you are on a mission given to you directly from God.

There are a couple of responses I tend to have about passages like these.

On one hand, my first instinct is to say that God will tell me exactly what he wants me to do and when he wants me to do it. Often, I want God to paint the answer to my questions in the sky. Shoot, sometimes I'd settle for a dry sheepskin in the morning… This train of thought usually ends in nothing but frustration (and dewy sheepskins), though, because God's signs don't appear where or when I think they should.
On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more I am comforted by this passage and the divine intervention it recounts. Ultimately, God's will is done. Nothing can stop his purpose for this world. Our own free wills may cause him to redirect his path, but nothing can stop the ultimate ending. There is no distance he cannot overcome. No ruler that he cannot overpower. Certainly, my own ignorance can't stop him from using me for his purpose. If I am willing, then I am confident that God will make sure I accomplish his will for my life. If that means he sends an angel to me in a dream, that's awesome. It would be great to have the assurance that Joseph had that he was doing exactly as God wanted.

At the same time, isn't it also a blessing to be able to live only on the faith that God is working behind the scenes to make sure things work out? After all, for those who love God, he is working through everything to ensure that good happens (Rom. 8:28).

Joseph knew exactly the will of God for him at those moments, and that was absolutely a blessing. But isn't not knowing, and having to simply trust, in some ways a greater blessing? Jesus told Thomas, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29 NIV).

Even though I may not get a clear sign from above, I know that when I submit my will to God's will-he will use that for his glory. Divine intervention or not, I know he will never leave me. I know that he is faithful. I know that he is working through all things for good. Whether that is miraculous or not, God is divinely intervening every day, every moment.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home